4.22.2009

Sorority Recruitment

After being blissfully unaware the last few years about the goings-on of sorority life post-college, I have recently been dragged back into the fold to write recommendations & letters of support for some local high school girls who are about to head to college in the fall and are interested in sorority recruitment. Don't get me wrong - I totally enjoyed the experience of being in a sorority when I was in college, and at a school like the one I went to, it was virtually the ONLY way you could meet people and be involved. However, I was perfectly fine being an alumnae and that being the end of it. I tried going to to the sorority alumnae group for about a year after college and it was fun, but I'm just not one of those overly girly girls who needs social women's organizations to feel complete.

Yet here I am trying to council and support these ladies on how to go through sorority recruitment on their various campuses and hoping they will rush my sorority. Not that it matters because I barely even know these girls, and each campus is so different that my sorority might be the right personality fit for them on another campus. It's just funny to me though how you can be so unaware and then dragged back into the thick of things when something like this comes up. So I'm researching the proper forms and letters and hoping to help them out - mainly because I know how scary and intimidating it can all be and how glad I was that I had met some people in my future sorority during the fall semester of my freshman year. I can't even imagine having to rush before school had even started and you even had a glimpse of what the different organizations were like. Silly sorority craziness!

No comments: